How to build a Magento website? An end-to-end guide
Running short of time? Get PDF of the blog in your mail.
Setting up a website on Magento is easy. Despite the common notion that creating a Magento website is a complex task. You just have to install Magento and promptly begin online engagement for your business. Thus, this guide describes how to build a Magento website in 7 simple steps.
By following this guide, you will be clear about the Magento requirements, its development cost, important extensions, website interface, and much more. Moreover, this guide on how to create a website using Magento will also help you minimize any challenges that most people face during their online store development.
Factually, you can build a Magento website on your own if you are a technical expert. Alternatively, its developer community is pretty prompt in assistance, and would be a better way out too! Taking technical assistance also reduces your effort and will also help you in making the appropriate customizations as per your business needs. You will be able to customize it the way you want with the help of these developers.
Adobe Commerce is the enterprise edition by Magento and is one of the most powerful platforms. Find out more about it here.
In either case, you still have to follow these basic guidelines on how to build a Magento website-
- Discover the Magento world
- Choose suitable hosting packages
- Download and install Magento editions
- Select the right template
- Configuring your online store
- Launch your website
- Analyze your business performance
7 Steps to build a Magento website
Magento has administered more than 250,000 websites until now. These also include top brands like Nike, Ford, and Samsung. This software enables these top players to adjust and control their websites. That is why they are able to run powerful platforms today.
Magento empowers millions of websites and grows them rapidly. It also has the capability to integrate multi-vendor functionalities in them for expanding the business modules. This software of Magento has been a reliable choice for merchants since it rapidly improves the performance of eCommerce websites. It has further been found that the websites running on Magento grow 3 times faster.
Anyways, the steps on how to build a Magento website are-
Step 1- Discover the Magento world-
Discovering the Magento world is a foremost step in this guide on how to how to create a website using Magento. Reviewing the offerings of Magento is important before initializing the setup. You will get a clear understanding of Magento offerings.
The Magento offerings are available for small, medium, and large companies. You should know about it before starting your business no matter its size.
1. Online store setup needs
There are certain requirements for setting up a Magento store. These are-
- OS such as Linux, Mac, and Windows
- Server for storing your Magento files
- MySQL database
- PHP for super-fast website
2. The three editions of Magento
Magento offers 3 different versions to suit varied business needs. These versions provide multiple offerings to match every type and size of business. Its three editions are Open Source, Magento Commerce, and Magento Cloud.
3. Magento extensions
Magento has thousands of free and paid extensions for varied business needs. You can also get them customized from Magento certified developers. These extensions simplify the management of any Magento website.
4. Development cost–
Magento community edition is free to download and use. But its development involves certain other expenses. It includes hosting, domain name, extensions, theme, SEO, maintenance, and support. Developing an online store on Magento 2 Community edition costs around $7200. On the other hand, if you opt for the Magento enterprise version, that is Adobe Commerce, the total license cost starts from $22,000 onwards and goes over $80,000 per year. This cost depends on the expected annual gross income for that year.
5. Magento website setup time
Downloading and installing Magento is usually done in a couple of days, depending on your available resources. On the other hand, configuring and launching your store takes a few more days. Thus, you will be able to start your online business within a couple of weeks or two.
Step 2- Choose suitable hosting packages
Magento configuration depends upon your hosting packages. Therefore, it is essential to know about available hosting services for a Magento store setup. Many of these hosting platforms are tailored for Magento requirements which includes SSL certificates.
Your website will also need enhanced server resources for better management as it grows further. Therefore, a compatible hosting plan will help you to manage these additional resources well. Hosting providers that are compatible with Magento are-
Cloudways is a leading provider of managed hosting services for various frameworks and servers, such as Magento, WordPress, AWS, and others. It allows businesses to overcome the hassles related to hosting and provides complete management for increasing efficiency through abilities like website security with SSL certificates, real-time monitoring, etc. Besides, Cloudways enables Magento platforms to add team accounts for managing multiple stores.
Nexcess is well-known for providing solutions that are scalable, secure, and have a higher speed for Magento websites. It is again a provider of managed hosting services to enable automation for an online store expansion without any manual assistance. It also maximizes speed due to its inbuilt content delivery network.
Step 3- Download and install Magento editions
Downloading and installing are straightforward processes that can be completed in a day. You can setup Magento in 5 steps-
- Create a web server– Having a server means you have a space to install Magento. Your web hosting plan provides this space.
- Download Magento– The next step is creating a free account on Magento. Having an account lets you download the latest Magento version. It gives you three options to download: Composer, Git, and Archive. Downloading the latest version from among these options offers many advantages for developers and contributors.
- Create MySQL database– Your web hosting plan lets you create a new database. You only have to sign in to your hosting account and get started with files in your database.
- Upload files to your server-Once you have created your database, you can upload Magento files onto your server. You can either select the File Manager of your control panel or the File Transfer Protocol to upload your files.
- Installing Magento– Magento software is ready to be installed at this stage. You can start this process by accessing your website. A Magento installer application will pop up and will let you finish the installation process.
Your Magento store is ready to be configured now. However, if you choose Cloudways or Nexcess as your hosting provider then you can avail of ‘one-click Magento 2 installation’.
Step 4- Select the right template
A suitable template is important for an attractive online store. Such a template enhances the responsiveness of eCommerce websites. Its users will also be able to gain positive experiences. Thus, Magento provides several options for choosing a suitable template.
Magento comes with a default theme in the name of LUMA. This theme consists of all the basic features needed for the initial stages. You can also make customizations here.
You will have access to a wide range of free and paid themes. You can get these Magento templates from registered providers such as Magento Marketplace, Amasty Jet, or ThemeForest. These stores consist of all kinds of templates that match your requirements.
Customize or create a template from scratch-
The Magento templates can be customized with the help of technical assistance. Its templates will be customized by Magento developers after a detailed discussion.
Step 5- Configuring your online store
Your store is ready to be configured now. Under this configuration, you can add your website content. You can also adjust its appearance by adding pages, blocks, and widgets. Updating its header, footer, and product watermarks can also enhance its appearance.
At this time of configuration, you will have the option to define your time zone, currencies, and email addresses to receive transaction notifications. Magento also comes with the ability to create new products. You will be able to categorize products here. The responsive interface of the Magento admin panel lets you seamlessly add new products.
This configuration setting also involves integrating specific extensions. Extensions are essential for the management of your store. They will also increase customer engagement. Extensions that are worth integrating at the initial stage are-
Shipping methods– Extensions for shipping facilities enable you to specify shipping plans. You can also mention offerings such as free shipping, minimum order, and fixed rates. These extensions from companies such as USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL can add flexibility.
Marketing automation– Storefront operating on Magento get to choose the marketing automation features as well from Hubspot or Mautic. With these services, you can effectively spread your website’s services through email marketing, social media, and other mediums.
Native apps and PWAs– Mobile traffic generates higher revenue than desktop traffic. It is mainly generated from native apps and PWAs. Magento provides a streamlined interface for both of these traffic sources.
Adding extensions for checkout, blogs, and multilingual ability can also improve your website performance.
Step 6- Launch your website-
Your online store is now set for launch. But before this step, you need to check the following details-
- Extension conflicts– All the added extensions should function well without slowing down your website speed
- Website interface– A smooth website interface with easy navigation, quick checkout, and streamlined transactions increases customer retention
- Theme responsiveness– Your website should have a theme that can process amid the heavy workload
You can start your website now if all the above details are fine.
Step 7- Analyze your website performance
Last but not least step in this guide on how to build a Magento website is analyzing your website performance. This step is important for its success. There are several metrics that are used to measure its performance. These metrics provide a way to strategize business growth. You can measure your website’s performance through some of them-
- Conversion rate– Conversion rates indicate the number of purchases on your website. You need to optimize the website speed if these rates are low.
- Cart abandonment rate– It’s disappointing if customers leave your website at this advanced stage of buying which causes high cart abandonment rates. There are several reasons for these higher cart abandonment rates. But effective strategies can lower these rates.
- Revenue sources- Revenue sources indicate the channels through which you are generating sales. These revenue sources can be created by converting a Magento 2 store into a multi-vendor marketplace and earning commissions from it. Sales can further be accelerated by integrating it with different marketplaces.
This guide on how to create a website using Magento makes it easier to set up an online store. It can be created by just downloading an online platform software such as Magento and quickly launching it. This new online store will be able to display its services and easily expand its customer base within a few days.
Moreover, Magento is one of the leading platforms for creating an online store. It has been ranked at number three. The reason for this popularity is probably due to the diverse offerings of Magento. You can create one on it with the help of service providers such as CedCommerce as well as using this guide on how to create a website using Magento.
This solution provider comprises a team of certified Magento professionals who are readily available to customize your website. You can also choose from a variety of custom solutions built to meet the business needs more accurately: