Amazon Images: 2021 Image Optimization Guide (+Pro Tips)
Running short of time? Get PDF of the blog in your mail.
Have you ever skipped a product because of the bad quality or unavailability of the images? It’s because images create a long-lasting impression that encourages the customers to take an efficient purchasing decision. The practice of image optimization creates a strong impression which is essential to stand out and draw the attention of your target audience.
When it comes to Amazon and its product listings, the product and alternate images become a lot more important. The high-quality images along with radiant infographics not only inform the customers about the product but also drives sales.
Additionally, Amazon’s A9 algorithm integrates the CTR (Click Through Rate) and CR (Conversion Rate) criteria. In other words, the number of times your product is clicked and purchased, the higher will be the chances of your product listings ranking on top. A major key role is played by images, as the product has a higher number of clicks only when the images are strikingly impressive.
Amazon Image Optimization: Technical Requirements
Each element on this planet has its technical requirements which should be taken into consideration. Likewise, Amazon focuses more on the technical part, therefore, try to fulfill the technical requirements for the images listed by Amazon. Here’s a list that you might want to consider:
The Amazon Image size should be 1600 pixels on a single side. The minimum image dimension for the longest side is 500 pixels and for maximal its 10,000 pixels. So you need to exhibit in the range of 500 pixels to 10,000 pixels.
Amazon suggests using a 1:1 square image with dimensions being 2000*2000. Furthermore, Amazon allows for a maximum zoom-in, that is, images in a 5:1 ratio.
The Product image should fill 85% of the available frame. Therefore, if the images fill 100% or 50% of the frame, they will be rejected.
The Amazon product images should be placed and clicked on a pure white background.
Amazon uses sRGB (Standard Red, Green, Blue) and CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Key Black).
You can use JPEG, PNG, GIF, or TIFF files. JPEG is the most preferred one for Amazon Images. The maximum file size for each image must 10MB.
Amazon Image Guidelines- For Main & Alternative Images:
Every product you see on Amazon has one or more product pictures. The Main/Primary image is the one you see when you search for a particular product. It is the first image through which you recognize the product.
Guidelines For The Main Amazon Image:
There are several guidelines to keep in mind before revealing the actual product primary images. Let’s have a look at them.
- The main image needs to be a professional one taken on a white background. The Image needs to be in focus and should show the entire product.
- The product image should contain naturalistic colors and look convincing.
- The Amazon image should fill up to 85% of the space. The background needs to be pure white which is RGB 255, 255, 255 on the color wheel.
- Amazon has enabled the feature of zoom for its images for a minimum of 1000 dpi. The images should not be less than 72 dpi, otherwise, the image will be rejected.
Things To Avoid:
Apart from the guidelines, there are various key pointers you need to keep in mind for better optimization.
- The Amazon product Image cannot contain unnecessary graphics or text related to additional images.
- Including a drawing or sketch of the product is not applicable.
- Avoid including obscured images or images that have spiked edges.
- You cannot include any borders, watermarks, texts, decorations, Amazon logos, and trademarks.
Guidelines For Alternative Amazon Images:
Alternative images are the additional images your product displays to offer further information on the product. There is a list of standards that every Amazon seller should follow for alternative images.
Here’s what you need to remember-
- Amazon Images should be presented from different angles and perspectives to make the product listings more informative.
- Close-up angles of the product should be included.
- You can feature several environments or backgrounds in which the product can be used. This provides transparency and enhances the distinct features of the product.
- These images should also cover 85% of the frame.
- You can also include texts and graphics which seem helpful.
Things To Avoid:
There are several practices that you need to avoid to magnify the essence of your alternative images. Some of them are-
- Rigorously avoid usage of pornographic, racist, or sexually suggestive images. (It applies to the Amazon Product Images too)
- Prohibit the usage of images related to babywear photographed on a model.
- Models displaying other products and categories must be standing and should not be sitting, kneeling, or leaning onto something.
Amazon Image Optimization:
Why does a product of the same category displays on the top search and another one on the next pages? It’s because of the compelling and radiant product and alternative images that a product exhibits. Image Optimization is improving and providing the customers with high-quality keeping in mind the ideal size, resolution, and other guidelines. The stage of Image Optimization provides a check of whether the product listing with its images can hit the top searches or not.
What To Optimize?
The various elements of the images should be optimized for higher visibility and therefore ranking. The elements also depend on the category of the product and the users. Some of the standard elements that should be necessarily optimized are introduced below.
Product Image (Quality):
Providing quality Amazon images to the users should be the motive. Keep in mind and strictly follow the product image guidelines. You can add up to eight additional images for your product. Make sure to keep your images of high resolution to enable the zoom feature.
Product In Use & Packaging:
Display the images along with their elements used in different scenarios. Exhibit different angles and closeup of the product. Also, inform the customer about its packaging and its components.
The videos provide the customers a glimpse of the product and educate them about its usefulness. Include ‘how to use’ and ‘unboxing’ videos to closely engage with the customers. Including images in the videos from different angles will provide the customers with a deep understanding of the product
Additional Image Optimization Tips:
Image Optimization is a lengthy process involving varied factors that contribute to better optimization. Images guidelines are important but for that first, you need to understand the requirements of product photography.
Amazon Product Photography Requirements:
Just clicking a photo on a white background isn’t enough. There are various ways through which can be used to improve the quality and essence being conveyed to the users. Let’s get started.
- Keep in mind Amazon’s technical requirements before planning a shoot. The file formats, color mode, background color, pixel size, and dimensions. Shoot raw photos so that it is easier to fit them into the set pixel frame.
- Place the right lighting, as the right light setting can change everything. It can make a dull product list on top searches. Prefer shooting for images in the natural light as it augments the heart of the product.
- Manifest different angles of the product by displaying closeups and images from different angles. This enhances the experience as the customer has not physically touched the product so they feel connected through images.
- Use a Tripod Stand or a balanced surface to avoid shaky and blurry images. The images clicked through the tripod will not move your camera and will also provide you crisp and high-quality images.
- Do not place additional decoratives or items just to make your product look more pleasing. Moreover, adding items makes your main product look bland and might disinterest the customer.
Image Optimization Best Practices And Pro Tips:
Images help your customers in making a purchase decision and therefore making you rank higher in the searches.
Images decide whether you will land on page 1 or page 10 on the searches. Here are some best practices that you can inculcate for Image Optimization.
Make Your Main Image Dazzle:
Emphasize the product and follow the Amazon image guidelines. Take advantage of the magic of white background by including closeups and different viewpoints.
Fill Every Spot:
Infuse every space on the frame with relevant content and images. Do not overstuff but instead include infographics, videos, lifestyle images with context.
Exemplify The Bullets:
Title, bullets, and features are very crucial for indexing and ranking on the searches. Highlight the bullets in your images, infographics, and A+ content.
Add Multiple Images:
Add various images which provide the customer a 360-degree view of the product. Also, enable the maximum zoom limit so that the customer can even see the thread of the product for a better experience.
It is very easy to skip the spell check and move forward. It looks unprofessional when there are grammatical errors in your images or product listings.
Keep in mind these expert seller tips and you will be able to optimize and rank your product listings on top searches.
✅ Show Size ratios:
Illustrate the size ratios by placing another product to show how wide or tall it is. For example- In mobile phones, tablets you generally see the thickness or thinness of the product. This is helpful as it influences the purchase decision.
✅ Exhibit Unique Product Features:
Display the unique features of the product that makes it distinctive. Include the features in different formats like videos, infographics, images, and additional images.
✅ Use Enticing Backgrounds:
Displaying the products in real-time environment backgrounds is an excellent trick. This enhances the usage and quality which attracts the customers.
Your images can play a crucial part in scaling up your product listings. Take out time to curate a plan for image optimization, this will help you in creating enticing visuals. High-quality images will directly benefit you as they will increase your CTR (Click Through Rate) and hence conversions. The finest images attract more customers, thereby making your product a must-buy.
“Be stubborn on vision but flexible on details”- Jeff Bezos.
Which practices do you refer to enhance your listings and images? Share your thoughts within the comment section below.