12.12 or Double 12, A day popularly recognized as South East Asia’s version of Single’s Day & Black Friday.
You might be very wrong to think that after back to back shopping events in November, the shopping carnival is over. As a seller, you just had the main course, but dessert is still left to taste.
To those who are unaware, Double 12 is one of the biggest shopping festivals of South Asian online shopping marketplace. It’s a time of the year in which smart planning and organization can lead to huge benefits for a seller.
To begin with, it’s important to learn how 12.12 became such a significant event for online shopping.
How 12.12 Came To Existence?
The South East Asian marketplace Lazada came up with an idea to launch ‘12.12 online revolution’. They realized that events like Black Friday and Thanksgiving are not that much of a success in South Asian Market. They also couldn’t deny the fact that western online sellers were gaining a huge benefit from it.
So, Lazada along with a few other marketplaces like Zalora launched an online shopping revolution in the year 2014. This event turned out to be a huge success and since then double 12 is annually celebrated as one of the biggest online shopping carnivals in South Asian Online Market.
Seeing a huge success rate over years, other marketplaces like Shopee, Asos and Aliexpress came together to boost this revolution on a global scale.
Facts you need to know about 12.12
Customers are more likely to rush where sales and discount are involved!!
Over the years customers have shown great interest to shop on ‘double 12’ event. These are a few remarkable stats by Techinasia, from previous years’ 12.12 online shopping event.
- There is a 4-5 time increase in web traffic on Online Shopping Websites, as compared to usual days. This shows the devotion of customers to buy on 12.12 event. So as a seller it becomes your responsibility to capitalize on such a big opportunity.
- Last year a total of 60% unique visitors accessed online shopping websites during ‘double 12’ event. That stats really mean something. It means that customers are migrating towards online shopping through these events. So, this is a golden chance to not only earn but also to build a brand for your business.
- On an average, in every 2 seconds, an order was recieved during last year’s ‘12.12’ event. I think this stat is enough to highlight the magnitude of opportunity that could be easily gained.
- Last year a total of 18,000 orders were placed in a single day with an average per person expenditure of 125 SGD. Which in terms of American Dollars, it amounts up to 92 $.
- The most ideal time for shoppers during 12.12 is late at night. The customers wait long enough to begin shopping. In the Asia Pacific region like Malaysia, the most number of sales were completed between 21:00 to 22:00. So be careful not to drain your inventory before this prime time of online sales on ‘double 12’.
What your audience wants on ‘double 12’
After realizing the facts about sales on 12.12 it’s time to move to what your audience is seeking to buy.
12.12 occurs just before the Christmas week so your Customers will be in desperate need of anything that reflects festivity. Since this the last online sale of the year, your customers will prefer to do Christmas shopping now. It is that time of the year where nobody is willing to pull their hands from buying so be prepared to sell accordingly.
Analyze which age group of customers you are generally dealing with and then look for all the things they desire. For example: If you are selling for children, you need to add trending toys like the hoverboard, electric scooter, lego or Hotwheels kit, etc along with your products.
You can also add offers like ‘on the purchase of 3 products, one toy is free’. This is a very efficient customer attraction technique for these festive online shopping events.
You must also keep in mind that, there’s going to be a huge demand for woolen clothing, decorative lightings, festive accessories.
Don’t forget the fact that your customers will be seeking for gift shopping, so be prepared to stock ample amount of gift wrapping items because you are definitely going to need it on this 12.12 event.
Know Where Opportunity Lies:
You need to plan ahead because South Asian Marketplace giants, Lazada, had announced over 55 million deals in the brief period of 10 to 12 December 2018.
On the other hand, Shopee had something else planned out, something big – as they have announced 10 days long shopping carnival with each day specified for a category. Here’s a list :
3 December 2018: Kids’ & Babies’ Day
4 December 2018: Shopee Shake Day
5 December 2018: Foodie’s Sale
6 December 2018: Beauty Sale
7 December 2018: Flash Deals Day
8 December 2018: Shopee Mart Day
9 December 2018: Men’s Day
10 December 2018: Shopee Mall Sale
11 December 2018: Overseas Deals Day
12 December 2018: Mixed Sales
Zalora and Asos are also not far behind as they are promising up to 50% discount on clothing categories, this 12.12 sales.
It’s now totally up to you to choose the preferred online marketplace to sell. You just need to be very sure of the product to choose and on which date you plan to sell it.
To Make Things Easier:
In case you are already a seller on South East Asian online shopping market, then it’s good. Otherwise, you can start with your online venture today only.
No need to panic!!!
All you need to do is get in touch with A Marketplace Integration Agency and they’ll guide you with API based marketplace integration. This will serve as a significant tool that will help you sync your store with any Southeast Asian marketplace.
You might be thinking that ’till the time I receive this integration the 12.12 event will depart’. Well, let me assure you that the whole marketplace integration process will get completed in a few hours and you can start selling on marketplaces like Shopee, 11Street, and Lazada in no time.
A mixture of planning and smart work, with a pinch of farsightedness, is a perfect recipe to make the most out of this year’s ‘double 12’ sales.
So, I have just one simple question for You:
Integrations That You Might Be Looking For:
More From Cedcommerce:
- How To Sell On Lazada Marketplace.
- How To Increase Sales On eCommerce Platforms
- How BuyProducts realized their True eCommerce Potential