4 Things To Know Before You Start Online Grocery Store
Running short of time? Get PDF of the blog in your mail.
With the idea of going Hyperlocal, the startup underdogs of eCommerce were yet able to come up with a niche that escalated the pinnacle of popularity in a shot. The online grocery store is one such segment of Hyperlocal that became ballyhoo in the least time. Are you going to start an online grocery store as well?
Make sure to stick around till the end of this blog to get some crackling tips on spawning an online grocery store
Here we will discuss-
An online platform that lets grocers sell their products through the internet is known as an online grocery store. Many small-scale grocers who are not able to generate a decent amount of sales, get a fair chance to hike their profit with increased sales in exchange of nominal subscription fees.
Just like any other B2C eCommerce business, an online grocery store also has registered vendors the only difference is that the service of these sites is totally based on time and topography.
You have to enter your location or zip code, or it is auto-detected via GPS. Then the nearest vendor is contacted to fulfil your demand in the shortest time possible.
They don’t have to put in any extra effort to go from shop to shop in search of a particular product or brand. Everything is present in front of their eyes. All they have to do is to choose and place an order.
For the customers-
The customers enjoy numerous benefits of online grocery shopping.
- Firstly, online grocery shopping saves a lot of time that they otherwise had to reserve particularly for visiting the grocery store and roam aisle to aisle in search of the items they want to shop. Then comes the payment process. Standing in the queue to get the QR codes of all the items checked and then paying.
Obviously, it has nothing on the micro process of online grocery shopping ie.
Select –› Add to Cart –› Pay
And that’s it. Your weekly or monthly shopping is done in a jiffy.
- Secondly, online grocery shopping also saves money. Customers save some money on each item they put in the cart as it is always listed at a lower price than what they pay otherwise.
You can see the difference in the price that an online grocery store named BigBasket provides over the normal retail price.
- Thirdly, the customers enjoy doorstep delivery that too in the shortest time possible. This is the whole gist of online shopping, you get goods at your doorsteps.
An online grocery store is a hyperlocal concept so the goods get delivered to the customers within 24 hours. The customer can track the activity of the delivery man, as it is within a specific topography.
- Fourthly, customers have a surfeit of options to choose from, all the brands are available at the same place.
Customers just have to use the search bar and they are presented with various options to choose from. Online grocery shopping is also convenient for customers who prefer organic stuff.
- Fifthly, there are various payment options in online shopping, the customers can choose any of it and pay.
These days people opt for digital payment mode as it is convenient and hassle-free. Hence some online grocery stores give this kind of offers to their customers on digital payment.
- Sixth, online grocery stores provide offers and discounts to both new and existing customers, hence it’s beneficial for them.
- Lastly, each customer has personalized offers especially if they are regular. They get points for shopping and can redeem them. They might also earn some cash in their digital wallet as a token of appreciation.
Vendors have their own set of benefits-
- When they choose to list their shop and items on the online grocery stores, they choose to be found and seen more often.
- Their earning chances increase after they register their grocery stores. if their items are up to the quality mark, they are often preferred which gives their income a hike.
- They get a wide window for growing their business as well. The hike in income gives their business a good capital backup for stretching their business further.
For the Admin
- By providing the facility of online grocery shopping, the admin has definite advantages, since the whole process saves time and money of the consumers, they prefer it more. Admin gets the benefit of the whole hike.
- The admin gets to decide the percentage of commission to be paid by the vendors. He earns the monthly fees paid by the vendors and a certain percentage as commission out of the profit earned by the vendors.
- Plus there are also the listing charges and the delivery service charges. This means that a certain percentage of admin’s income is secure and sure to come.
According to the data of statista, the popularity of online grocery stores is on a boom, especially in India. Many entrepreneurs are turning towards the idea of starting online grocery stores. This is because the U.S.P of these sites is delivery in the shortest time possible.
[The above-mentioned statistics show the surge in per-year sales of online grocery stores in America. According to this data, the gross turnover of online grocery stores in the USA will be approximately $30 billion by the year 2021″]
In many countries, people are still skeptical about online grocery stores. But, the generation of millennials is turning to online grocery shopping mainly to save time and efforts.
With the increasing interest of people in online grocery shopping, opportunities for expansion of online stores in the Asia Pacific Region is very rich. Keeping in mind a few points the online grocery store owners can go a long way.
The mindset of people in developing countries in the APAC region is a bit molded towards retail stores since the trend of retail-stores dates way back.
People visit these retail shops on a regular basis which creates a personal bond between the shopkeeper and the customers and they give credit to their customers plus there is a trust factor based on “What you see is what you get.”
Tweaking the Business Model
There is a need for model-shift. A new approach to the business model of online grocery stores is needed that is not a shadow of the traditional B2C website. A new segment for the website like the subscription model that just requires the consumers to upload the basic shopping list once and then every month those grocery items will be delivered to them without them having to visit the site every month and add items to the cart one by one. The whole hectic process will be cut short.
Let your customers know from where their grocery is being supplied. Especially vegetables fruits and grains and cereals. It will help you build trust. Since the consumers can’t practically touch or feel the product, hence it will be helpful for them. It will provide them with the assurance of quality. If your grocery store has farm-fresh products, make sure to mention it. Consumers mostly tend to go towards farm-fresh and organic products as they are healthy and are hard to get.
Find your niche
There will be a point where building room for your online grocery store will become a challenge because in the market already well-established and popular grocery stores will be present. To make your mark you will have to find your niche in this section, e.g. you can concentrate more on selling fruits or grains or vegetables instead of making available every item under the umbrella.
Personalize The Experience
Providing a personalized experience to the customers is one such way. The customers like to have a look at which items are bought frequently or what is the most popular brand in the store.
Relevant sections of groceries are very important. E.g. gluten-free section for health junkies, freebies or offers for premium members.
Highlighted products of the week etc.
With these kinds of experiences, the customers will be more willing to buy groceries from your online store.
If you are also planning to start an online grocery store, we can help you. For a remarkable amount of time, CedCommerce has been offering the necessary technical solutions specifically made for building one such platform. These extensions come with a multitude of features to aid in the development of a rich multi-vendor e-commerce marketplace. CedCommerce’s Magento 2 Marketplace extensions and add-ons are ready made and reasonably priced solutions for building a website like Amazon. A hyperlocal eCommerce business website armed with these features is undoubtedly going to possess the best in class features.
To build your own multi-vendor marketplace & to see what our satisfied customers have to say about us do visit: CedCommerce