Top e-commerce sites in Asia to sell at and turn huge profits!
Running short of time? Get PDF of the blog in your mail.
Inarguably, Asian e-commerce market is world’s biggest and most important one for the e-commerce businesses around the world. Asia is a home to multiple formidable marketplaces that not only cater to the needs of millions of its users but also leaves a huge sum of money for the sellers on the table. With multiple top e-commerce sites in Asia, Asian marketplaces generate huge sales and revenue.
Let’s start and have a look at some of the top e-commerce sites in Asia to sell at but before that, have a look at the facts and figures of the Asian e-commerce market.
- As per the data of this year (2018), the Asian e-commerce market has generated the revenue that amounts to US$ 837,013 million.
- This revenue is expected to show the annual growth rate (CAGR 2018-2022) of 11.6%, which will result in a market volume of US$1,299,692 million by the year 2022.
- The largest segment in the Asian e-commerce market is that of fashion with a volume of US$289,519 million, as seen in the year 2018.
- The user penetration in Asian e-commerce market is 50.4% as of 2018 and it is foreseen to hit 57.8% by the year 2022.
- The average revenue per user (ARPU) in Asian e-commerce market at present amounts to US$ 474.17.
Giving more power to WooCommerce Sellers, CedCommerce enables retailers to outreach their products’ in the SEA market.
WooCommerce Shopee Integration is now live on Official WooCommerce Marketplace
Top e-commerce sites in Asia to sell at
Now when you have understood the vast dynamics of the Asian e-commerce market, let’s get a step ahead and explore the top e-commerce sites in Asia to sell at-which have the huge customer base and which render the best opportunities to e-commerce sellers.
- Tmall Global
With 27000+ active sellers, Lazada marketplace is one of the most sought-after and top e-commerce sites in Asia. In Southeast Asia, it is the most visited e-commerce marketplace that garners the visitors from multiple countries.
- Founded in the year 2011, Lazada marketplace has its headquarters in Singapore.
- Lazada marketplace features 3000+ brands.
- It caters to the needs of its huge customer base with products under categories such as Fashion, Electronics, Home & Lifestyle, Sports, Health & Beauty and many more.
- Lazada marketplace has more than 27000+ active sellers.
- Lazada has more than 48 million site visits and it is growing rapidly.
Prerequisites to sell on Lazada marketplace
The requirements to sell on Lazada marketplace varies depending on the type of store you have.
However, the general requirements that are needed can be seen below:
- A registered business and ready stock in Singapore is needed to sell on Lazada.
- In the case of Individual Seller – If you are a startup seller, a valid government ID and your personal TIN is required.
- In case of Company Seller – In the case of a seller having a registered business, seller needs to submit the documents mentioned below:
- BIR 2303/Certificate of Registration
- DTI/SEC Permit
- Mayor’s Business Permit
- Collection Receipt
- Sales Invoice
Lazada seller fee
There is no fixed fee to sell on Lazada marketplace. Also, there is no listing fee and hidden costs. Lazada marketplace charges only a commission per order, based on the unit price of your product.
The commission fee is calculated as follows: selling fee + payment fee.
CedCommerce is Now the Offical Merchant Partner of Lazada. To sell on Lazada marketplace via our Integration Extensions, Click Here!
Launched fifteen years ago in the year 2003, Taobao marketplace has its headquarter in China and it is one of the top e-commerce sites in Asia. Taobao Marketplace is a subsidiary of Alibaba and it features products under extensive categories of Fashion, Electronics, Sports, Jewelry, Kids, Home, Outdoor and many more. Have a look at Taobao marketplace in numbers.
- According to Alexa, Taobao marketplace is the ninth most visited website in the world.
- Taobao marketplace has about 580 million monthly active users.
- It has 617 mobile monthly active users.
- Taobao has about 866 million monthly visitors.
- The traffic that Taobao marketplace generates can be seen below:
See the image below and understand the Taobao marketplace in a more comprehensive way:
Rakuten marketplace is a Japanese e-commerce giant that sells products under the categories of Electronics, Home & Outdoor, Clothing, Shoes & Accessories, Beauty & Personal Care etc.
In the world of e-commerce, Rakuten doesn’t need any introduction. Apart from being one of the top e-commerce sites in Asia, it is amongst the largest e-commerce companies in the world in terms of sales.
- Launched in the year 1997, Rakuten marketplace serves in 29 countries and regions.
- In the year 2017, Rakuten marketplace had revenue amounted to approximately 945 billion Japanese yen.
- As of June 2017, Rakuten marketplace had 14,826 employees.
- The traffic on Rakuten marketplace by country can be seen below:
- The engagement and visits on Rakuten marketplace can be seen below:
Prerequisites to sell on Rakuten marketplace
- Make sure that you are the producer of your product or you have a license to sell on Rakuten marketplace in Japan legally.
- Ensure that your product complies with the laws and regulations of Japan.
- In addition to it, Rakuten marketplace has a list of products that are banned by Rakuten marketplace which you can’t sell on Rakuten and an approval is needed to sell those.
Fee to sell on Rakuten
Although there is no listing fee to sell on Rakuten marketplace, the commission is levied which depends on the product that you sell on Rakuten. It generally ranges from 5 to 15%. The per item fee is 99 cents which is applicable when the products actually get sold.
Being an e-commerce giant, Amazon marketplace is a name that doesn’t need any introduction. Besides having a network worldwide, Amazon is also amongst one of the top e-commerce sites in Asia.
- Amazon’s net revenue is estimated to be US$ 177.86 Billion,
- The net income of the Amazon marketplace is US$ 3.033 Billion.
- Amazon’s total visit is estimated to be 2.35 Billion in the last 6 months.
- Amazon is the 8th largest employer in the US with 5,66,000+ employees.
- Amazon marketplace is ‘the largest’ internet company by revenue.
- It is the 4th most valuable public company across the globe.
Prerequisites to sell on Amazon Marketplace
- There are certain products that you can’t sell on Amazon marketplace.
- Duplicate product detail page is not allowed on Amazon. So a seller should check if the product is already on Amazon marketplace.
- VAT & CST documents are required unless you sell products that are exempted from tax like unstitched material and books.
For more info, you can see What Can You Sell As A Professional, and What Can You Sell As An Individual.
Amazon seller fee
Amazon marketplace authorizes the merchants to sell in two ways.
Selling as a Professional- When you sell 40+ items a month. The fee is US$ 39.99/Month + Other Selling Fees.
Selling as an Individual- When you sell less than 40 items. The fee is US $ 0.99$ Per Sale + Other Selling Fee.
Amazon Shipping Fee
The Amazon Shipping Fee depends on category and shipping method selected by the buyers.
You may see the Shipping Credits for Professional Sellers and also the Shipping Credits for Individual Sellers here.
Products in different categories have a particular per-item minimum referral fee.
You may see the Amazon Seller Fees for a referral here.
Variable Closing Fee to sell on Amazon
Sellers need to pay particular Variable Closing Fee for every media product that gets sold.
To sell on Amazon with our integration extension, Click Here.
Tmall is a Chinese e-commerce platform which is a spun off from Taobao. It is operated by the Alibaba group. With an Alexa rank of 13, Tmall sells goods in China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan. Tmall was launched in the year 2008 and sells products under categories such as Clothing, Automotive, Furnishing, Electronics, Accessories etc. It is one of the top e-commerce sites in Asia.
The GMV of Tmall can be seen below which amounted to 329 Yuan in the Q2 2016:
- For more statistical info on Tmall, see the image below:
Prerequisites to sell on Tmall global
- A seller must have registered business outside of mainland China.
- A seller must be having qualifications that allow it to partake in overseas trading.
- The stock certificate is needed.
- A seller should be a brand owner/authorized agency. Purchase vouchers are must.
- A seller’s business must have an operating past of 2+ years. Also, sales $10 million+ is needed.
- A product should preferably be a popular brand overseas.
- Brand owners/authorized agencies are preferred.
- Branded B2C in seller’s native country is preferred.
Tmall seller fee
Deposit fee: It ranges between $8000 and $25000 depending on the seller’s product category. It’s basically used to pay back to the customers who aren’t satisfied with products delivered or if the products were not original or up to the advertised standards.
Annual service fee: It is paid to Tmall Global for services offered. It is paid yearly. This fee ranges from $5000 to $10000, again depending on the seller’s product category.
Alibaba, the Chinese gargantuan e-commerce company is one of the top e-commerce sites in Asia that deals in B2C, B2B, and C2C sales. Being a leader amongst the e-commerce platforms that sells products across the whole wide world, Alibaba has an estimated revenue of US$39.898 billion and multiple subsidiaries such as Tmall, Taobao, AliExpress etc.
- Alibaba has total assets of US$114.326 billion.
- Alibaba has a net income of US$9.791 billion with operating income of US$11.050 billion.
- Alibaba had 66,421 employees as of March 31, 2018.
- It is the world’s largest B2C platform.
- Alibaba’s gross merchandise volume on Singles Day from 2011 to 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars) can be seen below:
Alibaba seller fee
Free supplier membership- suppliers can display up to 50 products online for free on Alibaba as they don’t need to anything to list their goods. Sellers just need to pay the commissions which vary from time to time depending on the product.
Premium gold supplier membership- it is the highest level of membership which has its own privileges. However, the gold members are also charged commissions as a percentage of sold goods’ transaction value.
In the huge Asian e-commerce market, the opportunity to sell is also huge. Being a seller from any part of the world, selling on these marketplace giants which are amongst top e-commerce sites in Asia is not that tough, all that you need is to keep certain points in mind and you are all set! Hope that now you are clear as to which marketplace is aptest for you and your business.
So embark on your selling journey and elevate your business like you have always dreamt.
You may also like:
Discover The Best Marketplaces For Selling Products In USA