How to write Good Title and Description for eBay? CedCommerce
Running short of time? Get PDF of the blog in your mail.
eBay is a massive e-commerce marketplace with lots of competitors for a single product category. You must keep a few basic things in mind to beat the competition as a seller on eBay. To make a person buy your product, you need to understand how to write a simple and easy to comprehend eBay product description and title. To excel as a seller, you must know how to write Good Title and Description for eBay. Learn everything from square one, i.e., what is eBay Product Listing?
The eBay product description and title of any product effectively show a clear picture in front of buyers, which can increase your chances of making a sale. Your eBay product description is an advertisement for the item you’re selling. It is an opportunity to inform and excite buyers to have a look at your product.
What is eBay product listing?
Still not clear about what is eBay product listing about? Let’s begin with the basics. When you upload your product’s information (like the price, descriptions, and offers), that’s called a listing.
The eBay product listing consists of two crucial parts. The first is the eBay product title. It tells the name and category of the product you have listed on the eBay marketplace. The second part is the eBay product description. This part consists of your product’s details like the sizes, variants, warranty, and other specifications.
How to write a good title and description for eBay?
There are some basic rules on How to write good title and description for eBay–
- Use descriptive keywords to convey what you’re selling accurately. You can use approx to 80 characters.
- Avoid the use of multiple synonyms and avoid plurals.
- Include the details like spellings, words should be accurate and correct.
- Include the item’s brand name, artist, in the title of the product
- Incorporate item specifics. For example, add size, color, condition.
- Describe exactly what your item is, even if your title repeats the category name.
Example of a good title and description for eBay:
Apple iPhone 5 (Latest Model) – 16GB – White & Silver Smartphone
A slim and stylish design makes the Apple iPhone 5 lightweight and easy to carry around.
- The phone is 4 months old and in excellent condition.
- Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery
- Comes with a charger and screen protector.
- Up to 480 minutes of talk time
- 4-inch Retina display with a resolution of 1136 x 640 pixels
- Packed with great features!
What’s forbidden under the eBay Product and title guidelines
- Don’t use false or inappropriate information.
- Avoid website addresses, email addresses, or phone numbers. The exception is the sale of domain names.
- Don’t include words like “wow” or “look.” Buyers don’t search for terms like these.
- Never use avoided words like- prohibited, banned, illegal.
Basic rules for writing ebay product description:
The eBay product description is a complete overview of your product. It gives you a chance to attract customers. You must always remember some essential points like usage of complete sentences and correct spelling and grammar.
- Prioritize the most important details that buyers need first, such as additional details about your item.
- Product-specific information like size, shape, color, age, manufacture date, country of origin, company/artist/author, and notable features or markings.
- Tell what’s included and the type of packaging.
- Everything related to the return policy should be clear.
- Write the description as readable as possible.
Example of a good ebay product description:
Levi Strauss Women’s Medium Red Leather Coat
Up for sale is this beautiful red leather jacket. This coat is pre-owned and shows some wear around the cuffs, but is still in excellent condition – no rips, stains, or holes. Rock this coat out in the town with your black jeans and moto boots!
Colour: Burgundy Red
What to avoid while writing an eBay product description:
- Anything that isn’t true.
- Trademarked logos, unless you have permission to use them.
- Negative comments.
- Prolonged descriptions, fine print, which buyers may not read.
- All caps, multiple fonts and font colors, and HTML. These things can make your listing unreadable on a mobile device.
- Repetition of information provided in other sections of your listing.
How to write Good Title and Description for eBay – Final Checklist
- Say NO to the use of acronyms at all.
- Forgo the words like beautiful, elegant, etc. Write product specifics only.
- Capitalize the first letter of each word. Not all letters of a word.
- Using 12-16 relevant keywords can drastically improve the CTR.
- Include four to seven technical or physical specifications of the product. This can bring in a 400% more conversion than the titles with specs less than four.
- Utilize the maximum of the 80 character limit. Earlier the limit was 55 characters, but now eBay has extended it further.
- Add subtitles to your listings. It is paid though. Subtitle can cost you USD one per listing. But it gives a 700% better conversion rate than listings without subtitle.
- Always take care of spellings and grammar. Wrong spelling always gives a negative impact on the CTR and thus sales. Visibility is heavily affected because of wrong spellings. Listings with wrong spellings do not appear on the search results.