An Insight to Double 11 Sales 2020
Running short of time? Get PDF of the blog in your mail.
The most thrilling and anticipated time of the year is here; the shopping season. With people locked up at home, online shopping seems to be the only option to fulfill their needs. Winters are here, and so is the shopping festival! The successful launch of 9.9 and 10.10 has raised the bar for Singles day as well.
Christmas is coming, and people are wondering what to give to the loved ones at reasonable prices. Well, no worries, as the most happening sale of the year, the Double 11 sales is here!
Most people shop so that they can enjoy themselves, among other reasons. And the merchants are ready to give what customers want. They offer opportunities for sales that no average person can deny them, especially those who love shopping!
The preparation for the 11.11 shopping festival has begun in full swing. With so much going on, you must be wondering how you can benefit from the singles day?
In this article, we will bring before you some interesting facts about last years’ Singles day sales along with the unbelievable plans for this year’s (2020) 11.11 sales.
Singles Day is also known as 11.11 or double 11(November 11), started in 1993 at Nanjing University as a day to celebrate students’ singledom.
However, in 2009, Alibaba established this “anti-valentine’s day” into the “11.11 Biggest Global Shopping Festival”.
Double 11 turned out to be a great victory for all the Southeast Asian retailers. It gained momentum as Alibaba’s Singles Day in China and then seized the rest of the world.
Alibaba’s Singles Day broke all the records last year. Let us have a look at the figures from 2019, 11.11 shopping festival-
- Alibaba’s 1,000 brands got their way when Taylor Swift kickstarted the countdown gala of 11.11
- Fifteen thousand (15,000) bottles of perfume were sold on Singles Day in just a second while Kim Kardashian promoted her beauty line KKW.
- Aliyun, Alibaba’s cloud computing system, processed 5,40,000 transactions per second.
- The Gross Merchandise Value (GMV) of Alibaba raised about $2 Billion in just 2 Minutes.
- Within the first 60 minutes, Lazada received a record of over 3 Million orders.
- On the other hand, in the first hour of Singles Day, Shopee raised more than three times the demand.
- Qoo10 made sales five times more as compared to 2018.
- The most expensive item sold on Lazada was a bottle of Hibiki (30yrs old Whiskey) at $8,999
Alibaba recorded a mark of $38.4 Billion in 2019.
With such impressive numbers, it is natural to expect this years’ Double 11 sales to be enormous!
Sometimes, even 24 hours seem less during Singles day shopping. The best deals are offered to the shoppers by Alibaba and its subsidiaries and also from the other famous markets of Southeast Asia marketplaces.
The top selling product categories included fashion, gadgets and electronics, beauty and body care, home appliances, baby and kids etc.
Alibaba’s Singles Day has gained much popularity over the years. By looking at the statistics from the past, double 11 sales have an immense potential for generating revenue.
Many retailers believe that 11.11 is the most significant growth driver every year, and this year will be no exception.
Chinese eCommerce giant Alibaba Holding Group Limited offers innovations and features to meet the growing consumer trends this Singles day.
The hallmark of these innovations include –
- The merchants will be able to promote their products, not just once but twice. A brand new sales window will be added from November 1 to 3, ahead of the main event on November 11.
- New brands and small businesses will showcase their products and tell their brand stories amid the pandemic.
- This year, Singles Day will launch more than 2 million new products, which is double the amount compared to the previous year.
- This year’s Double 11 will witness Alipay’s digital lifestyle platform’s participation, which aims to unite nearly 2 million local service providers offering special promotions in more than 100 cities.
- Small-scale merchants across China will participate in 11.11 by connecting with consumers through Alipay’s digital lifestyle platform.
- To help merchants regain growth, Alibaba launched Spring Thunder Initiative.
- This year, the singles day will feature 14 million value for money products from more than 250,000 brands available on Tmall.
- Consumers will be feasible to purchase products at huge discounts with free shipping from Taobao deals “RMB1 Sales” campaign.
- A total of 400 company executives and 300 celebrities will hold individual live streaming sessions.
President of Taobao and Tmall, Jiang Fan, said, “Innovation lies at the heart of the 11.11 Global Shopping Festival, and we are more committed than ever to empower businesses to capture opportunities and growth through new ideas and initiatives in this year full of challenges.”
With such innovations at hand, the merchants and consumers are sure to benefit from the Double 11 sales.
Therefore, the Alibaba 11.11 sale will be gigantic, and it will rule over the Southeast Asia market.
Marketplaces to Keep an Eye on!
It is hard to decide on which site you must list your products. Merchants offer discounts and deals on their products, which captivates the audiences’ attention.
Speaking of marketplaces, let us now talk about the marketplaces that can get your products in the limelight and improve your sales.
Lazada, in Southeast Asia, brought the concept of a shopping festival.
Shopping festivals like Double 11 have become a significant growth driver. It enables small and medium businesses to participate in this global shopping festival alongside LazMall, the region’s largest online mall.
The eCommerce giants said that shoppers could expect both local and international brands on LazMall, as well as discounts on 70 million items.
Lazada Malaysia will be guaranteeing 24-hour LazMall deliveries, promising some 50000 shoppers to expect next-day deliveries.
It offers an 11x money-back guarantee as well.
Lazada will continue with its “shoppertainment” features ranging from live streaming to new consumer games.
The campaign will include shoppertainment features like the Lazada 11.11 Super Show, Lazada CDO Show, The Lazada Heartbeat Wallet Contest, and a variety of LazGames.
It also offers an impressive aspect where customers will use voice search to find products and items.
This year’s Singles day is all about doing something different and something that adds value to people’s lives.
Thus Shopee has brought the 11.11 Big Charity event to make a significant impact. This event focuses on raising awareness and donations for KidSTART and supporting underprivileged children.
Shopee coins donation drive is from October 21 to November 11, 2020. The donation coins will be converted into cash by Shopee and donated directly to the community chest. With every donation made, participants will automatically get enrolled in a lucky draw.
Shopee will also have a Celebrity Livestream where signed items from brand ambassadors will get auctioned.
For the first time, TMall Global will bring more than 2,600 new overseas brands to Chinese consumers.
Taobao Live will offer sessions ranging from cosmetics, electronics to cars, and houses.
Consumers will have a more engaging experience with new features like online property viewing and virtual vehicle test drives to assist them in buying decisions.
It will be a soothing sight to witness people fulfilling their wishlists to their heart’s content with such alluring proposals.
Alibaba’s 11.11 Singles day is the best opportunity to grow your sales this festive season. Merchants can make the best out of it by merely preparing their stores in advance with integrations and marketplace tools.
Start preparing for Singles day now to manage a massive amount of traffic during the 11.11 festive sale. Gird up for Alibaba’s Global Shopping Festival, followed by 12.12 in the coming months.
Tips to Improve Your Sales
We know managing your stores during festive seasons can be a tedious task. But we are here to get you out of this trouble of product listing, inventory management, pricing, shipping, order management, and all those time-consuming tasks during the shopping season.
Getting your stores automated could be a massive relief from such tiring tasks and will impart ample time to focus on your other necessary chores.
Begin your festive sales by relieving yourself from such stress and improve your sales by automating your stores with frameworks like Magento, Magento 2, Shopify, Opencart, PrestaShop, BigCommerce, and WooCommerce. Experience seamless multi-channel selling with these extensions and get your stores to reach Everest heights this festive season and beyond!