A Complete Guide on Top MultiChannel Marketplaces to Sell in USA
Running short of time? Get PDF of the blog in your mail.
The United States of America is one of the biggest markets for selling online. Ranked second amongst leading countries in terms of retail e-commerce sales from 2014 to 2020 by Statista, the United States of America is one of the biggest markets for online merchants to thrive their e-commerce marketing and merchandising. This fact makes the US an extremely lucrative market for online sellers who want to sell in USA.
However, selling in USA depends on the marketplace that you choose to sell your products at.
So let us know about eCommerce in the US region and top marketplaces in USA.
Glance on eCommerce in US
- According to Statista, the retail e-commerce sales in the United States accounted to nearly 340.6 billion U.S. dollars in the year 2015. It grew to 543.95 billion US dollars by 2019.
- In the third quarter of 2020, U.S. retail e-commerce sales amounted to over 209.5 billion U.S. dollars.
- The online sales of physical goods amounted to about 360.3 billion US dollars and are expected to surpass 603.4 billion US dollars by the year 2021.
- 87% of the customers in the US prefer to buy online through different channels.
- With a population of about 328.46 million, the active internet users in the US are about 284 million.
- In the year 2016, it was recorded that the number of digital shoppers in the US was 209.6 million while the projected number of digital shoppers by the year 2021 is estimated to be 230.5 million.
What are the Best Selling Products in US?
To sell in US you must first be aware of the trending products that US customers are buying at the present. The top selling products in US are:
- Hair accessories
- Sport & travelling products
- Pet products
- Hi-tech products & accessories
- Beauty and healthcare products
- Fashion items
- Car products
Top Online Marketplaces in USA to Sell
To make the most of your efforts, top marketplaces to sell in USA are:
Let’s have a look at these marketplaces in detail.
A marketplace that doesn’t need any introduction, Amazon is known around the globe as an e-commerce giant.
Contribution of Amazon marketplace to the US eCommerce
- The net revenue of Amazon amounted to 386.06 billion US dollars in the year 2020.
- 81.26% of traffic on Amazon is from the US itself.
- With more than 5,66,000 employees, Amazon is the 8th largest employer in the United States of America.
- It is ‘the largest’ Internet company by revenue and the 4th most valuable public company in the world.
- Increasing its presence as a brick-and-mortar retailer, Amazon acquired the Whole Foods Market for US$ 13.4 Billion in the year 2017.
Also Read: Step by Step guide on how to sell on Amazon
What you can sell on Amazon Marketplace?
Amazon enables the sellers to sell under a number of categories. The top-selling categories on Amazon are:
- Home & Kitchen
- Sports & Outdoors
- Toys & Games
- Beauty & Personal Care
- Health, Household & Baby Care
- Kitchen & Dining
- Office Products
- Garden & Outdoor
- Tools & Home Improvement
- Pet Supplies
Also Read: Tips and Tricks to Win Amazon Buy Box.
What are the Selling Fees on Amazon?
Now before you start wondering as to what is the fee you need to pay to sell on Amazon, don’t worry as we’re here to answer all the Amazon seller fee-related queries you might have.
To know the Amazon seller fee, you must know that Amazon authorizes the merchants to sell in two ways:
- Selling as a Professional: It is when you sell more than 40 items a month and the fees that are levied on you is US$ 39.99/Month + Other Selling Fees.
- Selling as an Individual: It is when you plan to sell an item that is less than 40 in numbers, and the fee you need to pay is US $ 0.99$ Per Sale + Other Selling Fee.
Amazon Shipping Fee:
The Amazon Shipping Fee totally depends on the category and the shipping method selected by the buyers. You may see the Shipping Credits for Professional Sellers and also the Shipping Credits for Individual Sellers here.
Referral Fee to sell on Amazon:
The sellers who sell on Amazon pay a referral fee for every item that has been sold. Products in different categories have a particular per-item minimum referral fee.
Variable Closing Fee to sell on Amazon:
The Professional and Individual sellers pay a particular Variable Closing Fee for each media product that has been sold.
Walmart is one of the top online marketplaces in USA and the most visited e-commerce website in the world. Have a look at the data and stats before selling on Walmart-
- Walmart has about 100+ million unique visitors per month.
- It is the second most visited e-commerce website across the globe.
- It allows the sellers to reach out and sell the products to about 260 million users across the world.
- Currently, there are 5,342 total retail units of Walmart in the US.
- Walmart’s net sales worldwide from the year 2006 to 2020 can be seen below in the image:
Prerequisites for selling on Walmart
- You need to have a United States business entity for selling on Walmart.
- Walmart Marketplace asks for product identifiers- GTIN, UPC, EAN, ISBN, and ISSN respectively.
- A seller selling on Walmart needs to have quality products (refurbished products are allowed).
- Seller selling on Walmart needs to fix competitive prices.
- Merchant/Seller needs to ship efficiently within the US efficiently if selling products in the USA.
- You need to give great customer service to buyers if you are selling on Walmart.
- You have to ship products in plain boxes with no branding for selling on Walmart.
- Your products are required to have UPC or EAN or GTIN codes for selling on Walmart. At least one of them is required, otherwise, you will not be able to sell on Walmart without valid codes.
- To know the products you can’t sell on Walmart, check this list of restricted brands and products, and assure that you are not selling these products.
- For more points on the minimum requirements to sell on Walmart, click here.
Also Read: How to sell on Walmart Marketplace.
What are the selling fees on Walmart?
As great news for sellers aspiring to start selling products in USA, there are no fees to feature the products and start selling on Walmart and it charges only a Referral Fee which can range from 6% to 20% of the product’s selling price, depending on the product’s category.
What are the best selling categories on Walmart?
- Personal Care
- Household Essentials
- Sports & Outdoors
- Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
With approx. 30 million visits per month, Sears Marketplace is amongst the e-commerce giants that is a more than perfect platform for online US-based sellers to sell. If you sell on Sears, you may reach out to the huge customer base. Before you sell on Sears, see the total number of visits on Sears marketplace below:
Traffic on Sears marketplace by country can be seen in the image below:
What are the Selling Fees on Sears?
Although there is no application fee applicable on Sears, the set of charges that a seller comes across are:
- $39.99/ month subscription fee, which enables unlimited monthly orders.
- Up to 20% commission fee depending on the product category (also known as a transaction fee).
What are the best selling Categories on Sears?
- Toys and Games
- Tool and DIY
Also Read: How to increase sales at Sears.
It is an online marketplace where sellers can sell their vintage, handmade, or custom-made jewelry, clothing, home decor, art, toys, and more. On Etsy sellers can turn their creativity into business and become a brand globally. With more than 2.1 million active sellers as of 2020, the Etsy marketplace is one of the biggest platforms for users to sell in the US region.
Etsy has a total visit of about 422 Million by users, as per the data from SimilarWeb, as can be seen below:
Adding to the massive performance of this marketplace, the traffic on Etsy alone in the US is 60.74% that can be seen below:
Also according to the research, it has been seen that 61% of Etsy sellers are multichannel sellers, and 82% of Etsy sellers want to grow their business. In the year 2015, Etsy became a publicly-traded company in the US.
What are the selling fees on Etsy?
Etsy does not charge any monthly fees from the sellers. It charges only the listing fees of US$ 0.20 which makes the listing active for four months or until they sell. Also, there is a 5% transaction fee. To know more about selling fees on Etsy, refer here.
What are the best selling categories on Etsy?
The best selling items on Etsy are:
- Craft Supplies
- Handmade Items
- Paper and Party Supplies
- Home and Living
- Art and Collectibles
Also Read: How to Sell on Etsy: A Beginner’s Guide!
Newegg is one of the biggest marketplaces in the US at which merchants may sell under the computer hardware and consumer electronics categories and cater to the needs of millions of users. As can be seen in the image below, Newegg has about 36.34 million visitors coming to the website every month.
NewEgg Marketplace generated about $2.5 billion+ revenue in its first year according to eCommerce Worldwide.
What are the Selling Fees on Newegg?
NewEgg Marketplace does not ask for any account setup costs. However, you are only accounted for a nominal commission on each sale.
What are the best selling categories on Newegg?
- Computer Hardware
- Consumer Electronics
- Cell Phone Accessories
- Sporting Goods
- Camera & Photo
Also Read: Best Ways to Sell on Newegg Marketplace
MultiChannel Selling in the US
For sellers selling on just one marketplace in US is just not worth for their business. Multichannel selling is the best option that one can opt for to grow their business in full US and also across the globe. To start with multichannel selling you must have a marketplace multichannel integration for your store. Integrating your store for selling on multiple platforms not only increases the sales but also helps in making you a brand globally.
You must be wondering how to handle multiple channels through one platform?
Here I am listing out the benefits of using a multichannel integration that will come out as a rescue for your smooth selling.
- Multiple Account Support
- Bulk Product Management
- Automatic Orders management
- Real-Time Synchronisation of Price, Inventory, and Product Details
- Low Stock Updates
Wrapping it up
So it is crystal clear as to how lucrative it can be if you sell in US on the marketplaces mentioned above in this post. Selling on these marketplaces can be an extremely lucrative deal for you as a seller. Huge customer base, vast population, technology, and innovation-driven populace, and what not is there that you get when you sell on the US marketplaces. In short, we can say that selling products in the US itself can procure you such profits that you might have always desired, to transform your business. So give it a thought and embark on your journey to start selling products in the USA-for great exposure of your products and skyrocketing sales with multichannel selling in US.