Progressive Web Application for People who want more
Running short of time? Get PDF of the blog in your mail.
What is Progressive Web Application?
PWA stands for progressive web application. A progressive web application is a website that looks and behaves in the same way as a mobile application.
A Progressive Web App is a web application which makes use of latest web technologies to make a web application act and feel like an app. This is achieved by making use of web app manifest files and service workers.
When the customers visit the site for the first time, they will be invited to use the Progressive Web App by adding it to their home screen with just one click, and a icon of your website will be added to their home screen of mobile. So that when next time customer will be using your site, he will be able to directly open it from the home screen and experience app-like look and feel of your website with high speed. Therefore, Progressive Web Application for Magento 2 from CedCommerce, will help customers to experience app-like feature from their website.
PWA was launched by Google in 2015. It was released and brought into the market with the intention of providing unmatched quality services as far as the mobile apps are concerned.
According to Google, PWA characteristics are:
- Progressive – Work for every user, regardless of browser choice because they’re built with progressive enhancement as a core tenet.
- Responsive – Fit any form factor: desktop, mobile, tablet, or forms yet to emerge.
- Connectivity independent – Service workers allow work offline, or on low quality networks.
- App-like – Feel like an app to the user with app-style interactions and navigation.
- Fresh – Always up-to-date thanks to the service worker update process.
- Safe – Served via HTTPS to prevent snooping and ensure content hasn’t been tampered with.
- Discoverable – Are identifiable as “applications” thanks to W3C manifests and service worker registration scope allowing search engines to find them.
- Re-engageable – Make re-engagement easy through features like push notifications.
- Installable – Allow users to “keep” apps they find most useful on their home screen without the hassle of an app store.
- Linkable – Easily shared via a URL and do not require complex installation.
Progressive web apps are an enhancement of existing web technology. As such, they do not require separate bundling or distribution. Publication of a progressive web app is as it would be for any other web page. As of April 2018, progressive web apps are supported by the Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Safari browsers, but more browsers may support the features needed in the future.
The main advantages of progressive web application-
Offline mode- PWA is a website that can work without an internet connection. Service workers are here to ensure this. They cache the information when the device is online and are ready to display it at any time when the connection is poor or absent.
Improved performance- Users tend to leave the website if it doesn’t load quickly. Progressive web applications solve this problem easily.
No installation required- The user can start using the web app almost immediately, instead of waiting for it to download, and then install.
App like functionality-native- The user can save it to home screen and push notifications facility.
No need to download from app store- The user do not need to download the progressive web app from app store, this web app feature allows the user to share the PWA with everyone around. The progressive web application is accessible in one click.
Introducing Magento PWA Studio
“Magento is becoming a Progressive Web Application platform. That is to say, we at Magento are making a suite of tools for building online stores as Progressive Web Applications. These tools will help developers learn PWA techniques, build lightning-fast PWA frontends, and create PWA components and extensions for reuse or sale on the Magento Marketplace. Taken together, we’re tentatively calling this suite of tools the Magento PWA Studio. ” – Source: Magento dev
What we are offering-
Features of our progressive web application-
- Cost is much less than native apps to develop, and can be implemented using your existing web framework with no additional programming languages and technologies.
- Push notifications will be sent to the customers even when they are not using the app to keep them updated with promotional offers, new update on website, etc.
- Customer can add the shortcut on their home screen and experience app-like look and feel.
- It will always sync in the background and use caching to maintain offline functionality.
- PWA will even work when the customer is not having internet connectivity or low speed. It will not allow to open any new data but you may access the already used data.
- Just like normal website, PWAs can also be used on any platform; therefore, Progressive Web Apps are cross-platform.
- Customer will not have to download any app so they will not require any app store.
- Once the PWA will be added to home screen, it will exactly work like a native app.
- Admin can set the splash background and theme color of the Progressive Web Apps.
Read More Blogs:
- Create Online Marketplace In India
- Enhance Your Store with the New and Advanced version of Multivendor Marketplace Platinum Package
- How To Create Multi-Vendor Marketplace? Create Your Own With CedCommerce