Amazon Handmade vs. Etsy- What’s Best For Sellers In 2023?
Running short of time? Get PDF of the blog in your mail.
Amazon Handmade and Etsy are two of the most well-known and popular options in online marketplaces for handcrafted and artisanal goods. Both platforms offer unique opportunities for sellers to showcase their handmade products and connect with customers worldwide. However, each platform has strengths and weaknesses, and choosing the right one for your business can be crucial. In this blog, we will compare Amazon Handmade and Etsy, highlighting their pros and cons and suggesting which platform might be better for different types of sellers based on the current 2023 trends.
Launched in 2015, Amazon Handmade was projected as a direct competitor to Etsy. The platform has since become a popular destination for buyers looking for handmade items, with over 1 million active shoppers. Amazon Handmade is a part of Amazon.com, which means that it has the backing and resources of one of the largest e-commerce sites in the world.
- Large customer base: Amazon has a massive customer base, and by joining Amazon Handmade, sellers gain access to this audience. This can be a significant advantage for those looking to expand their reach and increase their sales.
- Prime benefits: Amazon Prime members receive free and fast shipping on eligible products. By listing products on Amazon Handmade, sellers can take advantage of this program, which can help attract more customers to their shop.
- Low fees: Amazon Handmade charges a 15% referral fee, more down than Etsy’s 20% fee. Also, Amazon does not charge a listing fee, meaning sellers can list as many items as they want without incurring additional costs.
- Easy integration: Amazon Handmade is integrated with Amazon.com, which makes it easy for sellers to manage their inventory, orders, and shipping all in one place. This can save time and effort, especially for those already selling on Amazon.com.
- Limited customization: Amazon Handmade has strict guidelines for product listings, which can limit a seller’s ability to customize their shop and listings. This can make it difficult for sellers to differentiate themselves from their competitors and create a unique brand.
- High competition: With over 1 million active shoppers, Amazon Handmade is a highly competitive marketplace. This means that sellers may need to work harder to stand out and attract customers to their shops.
- Limited categories: Amazon Handmade is limited to a few categories, including jewelry, home decor, and clothing. This can disadvantage sellers who specialize in other types of handmade products.
- Brand dilution: By joining Amazon Handmade, sellers may be seen as just other sellers on Amazon.com rather than unique and independent sellers of handmade goods. This can dilute their brand and make it more challenging to stand out.
Etsy was founded in 2005 and has become one of the most popular marketplaces for handmade items. The platform has over 60 million active buyers and sellers, making it a bustling community for artisans and crafters.
- Large community: Etsy has a massive community of buyers and sellers, making it easier for sellers to connect with potential customers and build a following.
- Customization options: Etsy allows sellers to customize their shop and listings to reflect their brand and style. This can be a significant advantage for those looking to create a unique and memorable shopping experience for their customers.
- Wide range of categories: Etsy offers a wide range of categories, including art, jewelry, home decor, and clothing. This makes it an excellent option for sellers specializing in various handmade products.
- Established brand: Etsy has an established brand and reputation for selling handmade items. This can help build customer trust and increase the perceived value of a seller’s products.
- High fees: Etsy charges a 20% fee on sales, which can be higher than other marketplaces. Additionally, they charge a $0.20 listing fee for each item listed, which can add up for sellers with extensive inventories.
- Limited customer base: While Etsy has a large community of buyers and sellers, it may not have the same reach as Amazon Handmade. This can make it more challenging for sellers to attract customers and increase their sales.
- Limited support: Etsy’s customer support can be limited, especially for just starting sellers. This can make navigating the platform challenging and getting the help needed to grow a successful shop.
- Increasing competition: With over 60 million active buyers and sellers, Etsy is becoming increasingly competitive. This means that sellers may need to work harder to stand out and attract customers to their shops.
Which Platform is best for you as a Seller in 2023?
While both Amazon Handmade and Etsy offer unique opportunities for sellers, choosing the right platform depends on various factors. These include goals, products, and target audience. Here are some suggestions for which platform might be better for you in 2023:
- Established sellers with a wide range of products: Etsy is an excellent option for established sellers specializing in a wide range of handmade products. Etsy’s customization options and wide range of categories can help sellers create a unique brand and attract a diverse group of customers.
- Sellers looking to expand their reach: Amazon Handmade is a great option for sellers looking to expand their reach and attract new customers. Amazon’s large customer base and Prime benefits can help sellers increase their sales and attract a wider audience.
- New sellers looking for support: Etsy’s established community and resources can be a great advantage for new sellers just starting. Etsy’s seller handbook and support forums can provide valuable information and support for those looking to grow their shop.
- Sellers with a unique brand: Etsy’s customization options and established brand can be a significant advantage for sellers with amazing brands and styles. By creating a memorable shopping experience, sellers can stand out and attract loyal customers.
In conclusion, Amazon Handmade and Etsy offer unique opportunities for sellers to showcase their handmade products and connect with customers worldwide. While each platform has strengths and weaknesses, choosing the right one for your business can be crucial. By considering your goals, products, and target audience, you can decide which platform is best for your business in 2023.